I Want to Talk to Someone

Main Content

If you have experienced or think you have experienced sexual misconduct, help is available. What happened is not your fault. Where to go from here can seem unclear, but you have options. How you choose to handle what happened to you or receive help is your decision. There is no wrong way to take care of yourself.

Talking to someone could be a good start in taking that first step forward. The agencies referenced can provide the resources, advocacy, and support to help you through this, no matter how long that might take. Remember, you are not alone.

Types of Support

If you choose to speak to someone about the sexual misconduct there are two types of resources available: confidential and non-confidential. What does this mean? Confidential resources, like counseling or victim advocacy services (Confidential Advisors), are not required to report the incident to the police. There are legal protections for the discussions you have with confidential resources. Non-confidential resources, such as professors, academic advisors, resident advisors, coaches, and supervisors, are obligated to report incidents of sexual misconduct to the University. Neither type of resource is better than the other. There is no right or wrong way to handle this.

If you do choose to speak to a non-confidential source, what does that mean? Professors, academic advisors, resident advisors, coaches, supervisors, and all of the non-confidential sources listed below must report sexual misconduct to a Title IX Coordinator. A Title IX Coordinator will then contact you offering a discussion of your options and the availability of support services and accommodations. It is your choice whether to discuss the incident with the Title IX Coordinator. You can bring a support person with you to the meeting to serve as an advisor, including a trained confidential advisor. Whether or not you discuss the incident with the Title IX Coordinator, you still have the choice of whether or not to report to the police for criminal proceedings or to pursue student disciplinary actions with the Office of Student Conflict Resolution. (For more information on the reporting process, see I Want to Report an Incident.)


For a list of confidential and non-confidential resources, visit Resources for Students or Resources for Employees. For more specific steps, there are FAQs on reporting, University options, and police options. You may also discuss any questions about your reporting options with the confidential and non-confidential resources.

Information for Family and Friends

If you're a family member, friend, or supporter of a student impacted by sexual misconduct, please see I Want to Support Someone and Resources for Family & Friends for additional information.

If you have been accused of sexual misconduct and are unsure what to do or whom to contact, click here.