Resources for Students

Main Content

At Illinois, we care about supporting all students who are impacted by sexual misconduct, and we have many resources available to assist with various needs related to these issues. Please see below for a listing of resources on campus and in the community.

If you are concerned about safety or need medical attention, call 911 or go to a local medical facility.

Resources listed first on this page below are confidential resources under Title IX, meaning that reports of sexual misconduct are kept completely confidential and not reported to the University unless the survivor has asked for this to happen. (For more information on confidential resources, see I Want to Talk to Someone.) The rest of the resources on this page are not classified as confidential under Title IX; however, all resources do their best to keep information as private as possible:

Confidential Resources

Confidential Resources – Campus

Confidential Advisors (located within the Women's Resources Center)

(217) 333-3137
8:30 am–5:00 pm, Monday–Friday

Confidential Advisors offer confidential advocacy and support related to sexual misconduct including (but not limited to) safety planning, discussing a survivor’s rights and options, supporting survivors in determining the best course of action for their own needs, addressing academic and employment needs, accessing safe housing, mental and physical health referrals, and support with both the criminal and university discipline systems. All services are free of charge and available for persons of all gender identities. The Women’s Resources Center has staff designated as Confidential Advisors, trained and dedicated to provide support and advocacy. These staff members are Gabrielle Schwartz, Associate Director, Kara Lawrence, Advocacy & Wellness Coordinator, and MK Kim, Advocacy & Wellness Coordinator. Services are available by appointment, referral, and walk-in (as available).

Get a definition of Confidential Advisor.

Counseling Center

(217) 333-3704
8:00 am–5:00 pm, Monday–Friday

The Counseling Center offers same day scheduling for appointments as well as emergency consultations. They also offer a weekly Women's Empowerment Group, focusing on women who have experienced interpersonal trauma. All counseling center services are free to students of the University.

McKinley Health Center (Mental Health)

(217) 333-2705
8:00 am–5:00 pm, Monday–Friday

McKinley Health Center Mental Health department offers evaluations and consultations with psychiatrists, psychologists, a clinical nurse specialist, and social workers on their staff. Sexually transmitted infection testing is available, and students can pick up Plan B at the health center.

Disability Resources & Educational Services (DRES)

(217) 333-1970
8:30 am–5:00 pm, Monday–Friday

Counseling services are available at DRES for those students who are eligible and registered for accommodations. DRES maintains the confidentiality of all student records as required or permitted by law.

Chez Veterans Center

(217) 300-5186
8:30 am-5:00 pm, Monday-Friday

Counseling services are available at the Center for military-connected students (veterans, guard/reserves, and dependents). The clinician in the Center is a confidential resource. The Center maintains the confidentiality of all student records as required or permitted by law.

Veterinary Medical School

Nichole Summers work number: (217) 333-6284
8:00 am-5:00 pm, Monday-Friday

Counseling services are available and free for Veterinary Medical students at the College of Veterinary Medicine. Nichole Summers is the licensed clinical social worker at the college, and she is a confidential resource. Services are available by appointment or referral.

Confidential Resources – Community

Rape Advocacy, Counseling, & Education Services (R.A.C.E.S.)

Crisis Hotline: (217) 384-4444
24 hours/day, 365 days/year

Rape Advocacy, Counseling, & Education Services (R.A.C.E.S.) has a twenty-four crisis hotline, medical and legal advocacy, counseling services, and public education and training. All services are free of charge.

Courage Connection

Domestic Violence Hotline: (217) 384-4390
24 hours/day, 365 days/year

Courage Connection provides housing and services for individuals or families who are victims of domestic violence. They offer safety planning, domestic violence counseling, court advocacy, assistance in obtaining orders of protection, and other counseling services. Shelter and services are free of charge and available to residential and non-residential clients.

Psychological Services Center

(217) 333-0041
8:30 am–5:00 pm, Monday–Friday

The Psychological Services Center (PSC), is operated by the Department of Psychology at the University. It serves the community of Urbana-Champaign, as well as University students, faculty, and staff. While PSC does charge for its services, a sliding scale depending on family size and income is offered.


Crisis Hotline: (217) 359-4141
24 hours/day, 365 days/year

Rosecrance offers a 24-hour mental health crisis hotline and provides a range of prevention, intervention, and behavioral health treatment services for individuals and families.

Medical Resources

If you go to an emergency department, the trained professionals can collect necessary physical evidence. Even if you do not opt for forensic evidence collection, health care professionals can treat injuries and take steps to address concerns of pregnancy and/or sexually transmitted diseases/infections.

McKinley Health Center (Medical)

(217) 333-2700
1109 S. Lincoln Ave., Urbana

  • Dial-a-Nurse Services
    24 hours/day, 365 days/year
  • Women's Health
    8:00 am-5:00 pm, Monday–Friday
  • Acute Medical Clinic
    8:00 am–5:30 pm, Monday–Friday
    8:00 am–4:30 pm, Saturday
    Offers medical treatment as listed above, but not evidence collection

Carle Foundation Hospital

(217) 383-3311
611 W. Park St., Urbana

  • Emergency Department
    24 hours/day, 365 days/year
    Offers evidence collection (rape kit) and medical treatment as listed above

OSF Heart of Mary Medical Center

(217) 337-2131
1400 W. Park St., Urbana

  • Emergency Department
    24 hours/day, 365 days/year
    Offers evidence collection (rape kit) and medical treatment as listed above

Medical Options

  • McKinley and the local hospitals (Carle or OSF) provide medical care after a sexual assault.
  • The best time to go is within 72 hours of the assault, to preserve evidence and prevent certain health issues.
  • Only an emergency department (Carle/OSF) can perform evidence collection (or rape kit); McKinley cannot. This process involves a doctor or specialized nurse collecting evidence from the survivor’s body to help identify the perpetrator’s DNA.
  • All of these facilities provide a medical exam, STD/STI preventive testing and treatment, emergency contraception (EC or morning-after pill), and date rape drug testing (if relevant, as they leave the body quickly).
  • If services are sought at one of the hospitals, the State of Illinois will pay whatever insurance doesn’t. It will be billed on insurance as an emergency visit, not a sexual assault. If the survivor does not have insurance, the hospital will bill the State of Illinois.
  • The medical facility will call the police, and it’s up to the survivor if they want to talk to them.
  • The hospitals should page a R.A.C.E.S. advocate to help through the process. If they don’t, a survivor can request an advocate.
  • For transportation, you can ask a friend, call the police, take a cab or bus, or go on your own — it’s up to you!

Police and Safety Resources

Dial 911 for emergencies

Dial 217-333-8911 for non-emergencies to reach dispatch for any of these police agencies:

MTD SafeRides

(217) 265-7433

SafeWalks (University Police)

(217) 333-1216

Have questions about police options? See the FAQ for police options.

Campus Reporting Resources

Title IX Office

(217) 333-3333
8:30 am-5:00 pm, Monday-Friday

The Title IX Office can take reports, connect individuals to available resources and support services, facilitate academic accommodations and adjustments, and review reporting options. They can also answer questions for individuals regarding the reporting process or the policy and provide training options.

Student Assistance Center (Office of the Dean of Students)

(217) 333-0050
Emergency Dean available after hours, 365 days/year
Walk-in hours 8:30 am-5:00 pm, Monday–Friday

The Student Assistance Center (SAC) in the Office of the Dean of Students can take reports, facilitate connecting students to desired resources, and supports all students. No appointment is needed to meet with a dean on duty during open hours. Reports of sexual misconduct made to the SAC will be forwarded to the Title IX Office.

Office for Access & Equity

(217) 333-0885
8:30 am-5:00 pm, Monday-Friday

This office handles all employee disciplinary proceedings for violations of the Nondiscrimination and Sexual Misconduct Policies and will handle the case if you choose to seek action through the University.

Office for Student Conflict Resolution

(217) 333-3680
8:30 am–5:00 pm, Monday–Friday

You can pursue student disciplinary action by making an appointment here. This office handles all student disciplinary proceedings and will handle the case if you choose to seek action through the University.

See the corresponding FAQ pages for questions about University options , the student disciplinary process, and reporting.

Additional Campus Resources

Office of Student Financial Aid

(217) 333-0100
9:00 am–5:00 pm, Monday–Friday

If you have any questions pertaining to financial aid issues related to your circumstances, you can contact the Office of Student Financial Aid for assistance (OSFA). The Student Assistance Center in Office of the Dean of Students can also assist you in working with OSFA to address your concerns.

Student Legal Services

(217) 333-9053
8:30 am–12:00 pm; 1:00-4:30 pm, Monday–Friday

Depending on the nature of your circumstances, the office serves to "inform students of practical aspects of the law as applied to their individual problem." There are some situations in which Student Legal Services cannot provide services as it may fall under their excluded services guidelines. These excluded services can be found here.

International Student and Scholar Services

(217) 333-1303
10:00–11:30 am; 1:30-3:30 pm, Monday–Friday

If you are an international student with specific needs or questions pertaining to your circumstances and your status as an international students, you may want to consult with International Student and Scholar Services for assistance.

State and National Resources