I Want to Report an Incident

Main Content

We at Illinois recognize that deciding to report sexual misconduct and choosing how to proceed are difficult decisions. We recognize that your feelings about whether to report an incident and how to proceed may change over time. We support all survivors of sexual misconduct during this decision-making process. You may be uncertain at first about how to proceed. You may wish to speak with a confidential resource before deciding how to proceed.

Although you can report sexual misconduct at any time, we encourage individuals to immediately report incidents of sexual misconduct. If the respondent is no longer subject to the University’s jurisdiction and/or significant time has passed, the ability to investigate, respond, and provide remedies may be more limited or impossible. When making a report, you need not know what particular course of action to pursue or how to label what happened. (If you are contemplating what to do next, you may find the I Don't Know What to Do page helpful.) You have several reporting options.

The University strongly encourages immediate reporting of sexual misconduct to both the University and the police. These options are not mutually exclusive: you may pursue both internal and criminal reports simultaneously.

Immediate Medical Concerns

If you are concerned about safety or need medical attention, call 911 or go to a local medical facility:

McKinley Health Center

(217) 333-2700
1109 S. Lincoln Ave., Urbana

  • Acute Care Hours:
    8:00 am–5:30 pm, Monday–Friday
    8:00 am–4:30 pm, Saturday
  • Dial-a-Nurse Services:
    available 24 hours/7 days a week

Carle Foundation Hospital

(217) 383-3311
611 W. Park St., Urbana
24 hours/7 days a week

OSF Heart of Mary Medical Center

(217) 337-2131
1400 W. Park St., Urbana
24 hours/7 days a week

You can make a report to the police while at a medical facility as well.

If there are no safety risks or serious injuries, go to a safe place and contact a friend or family member you trust to stay with you.

Confidential Assistance

You may seek confidential assistance by contacting any of the confidential resources listed in the sidebar or in the resources pages. You can discuss your reporting options and how to proceed with a confidential resource to make a decision that feels best for you. For more information, see I Want to Talk to Someone.

Police Reporting

If you are experiencing an emergency, dial 911 immediately.

To report a crime, a non-criminal incident, suspicious behavior, or if you just need more information about the options that may be available, you can contact the local police or University of Illinois Police. They are available 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

For non-emergencies, you can contact the appropriate law enforcement agency by calling Champaign County dispatch at (217) 333-8911, and you will be connected to a police officer responsible for your location:

For further information about reporting to the police, see the FAQ about police options.

University Reporting

You have several options for reporting to the University.

The University reporting form can be found here. By using this online reporting form, you are submitting information to the University of Illinois Title IX Office. Danielle Fleenor serves as the University's Title IX Coordinator and can be contacted at the Title IX Office, 614 E. Daniel Street, Suite 303, Champaign, IL 61820; by phone at (844) 616-7978; or by email at titleixcoordinator@illinois.edu. Get additional information about Title IX reporting and the work of the Title IX Coordinator.

Any person may report sex discrimination (whether or not the person reporting is the person alleged to have experienced the conduct), in person, by mail, by telephone, or by email, using the contact information listed for the Title IX Coordinator.

Reports involving employees are accessed by the Office for Access & Equity (OAE). You can reach OAE for questions, to make a report, or to pursue a formal complaint against a University employee at 614 E. Daniel Street, Suite 303, Champaign, IL 61820; by phone at (217) 333-0885, or by email at eeodivision@illinois.edu. Office hours are Monday—Friday, 8:30 am-5 pm.

You can also make a report or pursue a formal complaint against a University student through the Office for Student Conflict Resolution (OSCR) at (217) 333-3680, during the hours of 8:30 am—5:00 pm, Monday–Friday. (Have a question about student disciplinary procedures? See the FAQ about the Student Disciplinary Process.)

If you have additional questions about University reporting see the FAQ about University options. For information on supportive measures and remedies, possible sanctions or outcomes, as well as links to the Sexual Misconduct Policy and grievance procedures, please visit Campus Policies & Procedures.

Reporting to External Agencies

Anyone who believes they have experienced Sexual Misconduct at the University has the right – and may initiate – a complaint with an appropriate state or federal compliance agency. Anyone may file complaints alleging sexual harassment in education against an executive, faculty member, administrative staff member, or teaching assistant with the Illinois Department of Human Rights (IDHR). Anyone may file complaints with the U.S. Department of Education, Office for Civil Rights (OCR). In addition, any University employee or employment applicant may file a complaint with the U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC). Sexual harassment between employees can also be reported confidentially to the Office of the Executive Inspector General (OEIG). Contact information for each agency appears below.

Illinois Department of Human Rights

Springfield Office

535 West Jefferson
1st Floor
Intake Unit
Springfield, IL 62702
(217) 785-5100
(866) 740-3953 (TTY)
(217) 785-5106 (FAX)

Chicago Office

100 West Randolph Street
10th Floor
Intake Unit
Chicago, IL 60601
(312) 814-6200
(866) 740-3953 (TTY)
(312) 814-1436 (FAX - Administration)
(312) 814-6251 (FAX - Charge Processing)

Office for Civil Rights

Chicago Office

U.S. Department of Education
John C. Kluczynski Federal Building
230 S. Dearborn Street, 37th Floor
Chicago, IL 60604
(312) 730-1650
Email: OCR.Chicago@ed.gov

U. S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission

JCK Federal Building
230 S Dearborn Street
Chicago, IL 60604
(312) 872-9744
(800) 669-4000 (Toll Free)
1-866-740-3953 (TTY)
844-234-5122 (ASL Video Phone)

Office of Executive Inspector General

To file a complaint with the Office of Executive Inspector General:

  1. Complete a form online form at www.inspectorgeneral.illinois.gov;
  2. Call the Office’s toll-free hotline at (866) 814-1113;
  3. Mail a completed complaint form to:
    Office of Executive Inspector General for the Agencies of the Illinois Governor,
    Attention Complaint Division,
    69 West Washington Street, Suite 3400, Chicago, IL 60602;
  4. Fax a completed complaint form to (312) 814-5479;
  5. Contact the Office by telecommunications device for the disabled (TTY) at (888) 261-2734; or
  6. Schedule an appointment with the Office at its Chicago or Springfield locations.

The OEIG may accept complaints filed anonymously.

Who can make a report of sexual misconduct?

Reports may be made by:

  • An individual who has experienced sexual misconduct;
  • Anyone who receives a report from someone who experienced sexual misconduct; and/or
  • Anyone who witnesses or otherwise has information that sexual misconduct may have occurred.

In most instances, the individual or department receiving the initial information will complete a report and provide a copy to the Title IX Office for follow up. Faculty and staff who are made aware of sexual misconduct must immediately report the incident to the Title IX Office.